WITH A SENSE
Top ten highlights
- The David Y in Jackson Twp. is in the midst of expanding the facility to better accommodate the 9,500 annual Y members. The $2.8 million project includes an expanded wellness area, new room for youth, new youth gymnasium, increased parking area and new multipurpose space.
- The formal partnership with the Massillon Y was very successful this year. A year two agreement was recently reached. We’re looking forward to continuing to work with our neighbors to the west again in 2015.
- The Lake Community YMCA celebrated their ten year anniversary this year. The Y remains part of a collaboration model along with the school system, library, Chamber of Commerce and Mercy Medical Center.
- The Alliance Family YMCA will officially be coming together with the other Y’s in Stark County starting January 1, 2015. We look forward to having them be part of the Stark County Y family.
- State-wide reciprocity is now available for all regional Y members. This means you can use your Y card at any YMCA facility in the state starting now!
- Y Camp Tippecanoe is now working in concert with Camp Y-Noah in order to provide comprehensive camping services to youth and families throughout the region. You can reach them by calling their new phone number (330)-896-1964.
- The Meyers Lake Y recently opened three new childcare sites in partnership with Canton City Schools. There are now twenty-two YMCA childcare sites throughout the county. This is the largest Y program with about 1,100 children enrolled.
- The new Snow Family YMCA in downtown Canton continues to grow with over 1,500 current members. About a third of the members need and receive some type of financial assistance. The new Y facility was recently recognized for its significant contribution to downtown Canton.
- The North Canton Y Live Strong Program is open to any cancer patient in the community sponsored in part by the YMCA Annual Campaign. Other partners include the North Canton Medical Foundation and Aultman Health Foundation.
- The not for profit YMCA staff work diligently every day to carry out the Y mission and keep the Y promise to never turn anyone away from the Y due to an inability to pay. For example,
Please feel free to contact us if you have any comments or questions regarding the top ten listing. We’ll continue to serve Stark County and carry out the vision to develop youth, teach healthy living skills, and remain socially responsible.