Volunteering is the ultimate exercise in democracy. You vote in elections once a year, but when you volunteer, you vote every day about the kind of community you want to live in. - Marjorie Moore
As the leading nonprofit for youth development, healthy living and social responsibility, the Y works side-by-side with our neighbors every day to make sure that everyone, regardless of age, income or background, has the opportunity to learn, grow and thrive. To do our important work, the Y relies on support from members, donors, volunteers and community leaders.
When you are involved with the Y, you help bring about lasting personal and social change. Whether you want to nurture the potential of children and teens, improve your or your family's health and well-being, or give back and support your neighbors, your involvement with the Y will positively impact those in your community.
Across Stark County the Y has partnered with over 2500 business leaders, community advocates, parents, teens and individuals who want to give back and support their neighbors by volunteering at the Y. That's because throughout Stark County neighborhoods, the Y has developed relationships that enable the Y to not just promise, but to deliver positive impact on lives in our community.
With a focus on youth development, healthy living and social responsibility, Y volunteers give men, women and children of all ages and from all walks of life the resources and support they need to be healthy, confident, connected, and secure.
Volunteers of the Y:
• Lead our Boards of Directors and committees
• Raise funds to ensure the Y is accessible to all members of the community
• Coach our sports teams and teach many of our classes
• Motivate and support youth in building the character strengths, skills and relationships that lead to positive behaviors, better health, smart life choices, and the pursuit of higher education and goals
• Extend a hand to help adults who want to do more, be more or live healthier
• Participate in opportunities to give back and support neighbors
The Y is a nonprofit like no other. Take an active role in strengthening your community.
There are volunteer opportunities at your branches - here is a list to name a few:
- David Y - Is looking for volunteers with customer service skills who would enjoy following up with new members
- Eric Snow Y- Opportunities available on the steering committee for the Stark County Urban Teen Leadership Academy, youth sports, and in our afterschool programming.
- Lake Y - we are always looking for youth sports volunteers especially during basketball season.
- Louisville Area Y - where volunteer opportunities abound. We could not have our events without you! We have volunteer opportunities as coaches in our youth sports programs; Swim and Gymnastic team boosters, and of course volunteers to help us host our annual race. We are currently looking for volunteers for our Annual Snowflake Benefit Auction
- Minerva Area Y - We have opportunities for the sports fan in our youth sports, for the child at heart in our child care programs, and our community event the Unity Walk. If you are looking for a fun event to volunteer at ask about our Holiday Benefit Auction - we would LOVE to have you be a part of our celebration!
- Meyers Lake Y - opportunities are available as youth sports coaches for our swim, volleyball, and basketball teams. There are also opportunities to help with child care, and senior outreach.
- North Canton Y - are thankful that you are willing to share your talent with us! We have opportunities as youth sport coaches, program or class leaders - if you have expertise in a specific area we would LOVE for you to share with us. Reader or exercise leader for child care or infant toddler center, lend your voice as a speaker during our senior social programs. And last but not least.... volunteers help us host our special events such as our 4th of July Race.